Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Welcome for Nothing

 



It has happened a lot lately. Somebody asks me if I served in the Armed Forces and I replied, "Yes, the Navy."
And like a automatic expected response they will say, "Thank you for serving."
I feel like blushing and saying something like, "Aw shucks, it was nothing."
I am telling the truth. There wasn't much to it, as for as being heroic. The base I was stationed at, NAS Lakehurst, N.J. 08733*, which was almost equal distance between New York City, Philadelphia, and Atlantic City. We kept the roads hot going to the big cities to have fun.
As I remember, the above picture** shows me holding the only weapon I used while serving. And it was a rubber tomahawk while playing cowboys and Indians at my uncle Roy Petty's place, about 60 miles north of NYC.
*But I am proud that I still remember the zip code, after 50 years.
** first cousin Rodney Petty; Me (With Indian feathered head-dress on); Navy buddy Joe Rexroad; and other first cousin Billy Petty.
click on picture to see details, mainly me with Indian headgear on.
No photo description available.

0 Comments

No comments: