Tuesday, December 01, 2020

Steve Guffin R.I.P.

 



I was sadden to read Steve Guffin died last Thursday, Thanksgiving.  Steve was well known around the refurbished  and antique car enthusiasts of Cobb County.  He organized a monthly meet of unique cars at Piedmont Church.

That is not how I got to know him.

 

Steve Guffin’s uncle Lem Guffin married Anna’s great aunt Maud Wright.  They have long passed.

I forgot who, but either he or I got in touch with the other about genealogy, common relatives.  But he was not a family researcher.  Hie brother was.  His brother lived in Alabama, if I remember correctly.  He was the middleman on handing off photos and family historical information.  A few times we met at Piedmont Church on Piedmont Road in the evening where he was helping cook supper.  He was a volunteer at the church, and apparently a very dependable volunteer. 

A couple of times we met at his body/paint shop on Glover Street.  Not that it matters but his shop was a house converted, and a friend, Jack Fortner lived there when we were kids.

Interesting, one time, after a doctor’s appointment, about 9:45am, I noticed Brandi’s Hotdogs was already opened and was full of people.  I parked and went in.  I took a stool at the counter, quietly, because all the men had their heads bowed while someone said a prayer.  I whispered to Brandi, who are they?  The told me and told me how often they met there, I forgot.

Then I recognized the person leading the prayer.  It was Steve Guffin!  When he finished he came over to the counter, he recognized me and welcomed me and shoot my hand.

 I guess if that had been more recent, we would have bumped elbows or butts.

Steve was a good man.


Obituary for Steve Guffin

William Stephen "Steve" Guffin, Sr., age 78, of Marietta, Georgia passed away Thursday, November 26, 2020. Funeral Services will be held at 2:00 pm on Wednesday, December 2, 2020 at West Cobb Funeral Home and Crematory in Marietta. The family will receive friends on Tuesday, December 1, 2020 from 4:00 pm until 7:00 pm at the funeral home.

A lifelong resident of Cobb County, Mr. Guffin owned and operated American Auto Paint and Body Shop for 54 years. He was a car enthusiast and enjoyed building and showing cars. He also started the Father's Day Car Show at Piedmont Church. Mr. Guffin was also an avid hunter and was a member of Ducks Unlimited. He was a longtime member of Brandy's Hot Dog Club and of Piedmont Church, and enjoyed traveling in his RV. He was preceded in death by his wife, Marcielle Goodson Guffin, and a grandson, Jack Keegan Guffin.

Survivors include: 4 Children, Melissa (T.J.) True, Powder Springs, GA, Marie (Bill) Gaskin, Springfield, GA, Steve (Stephanie) Guffin, Jr., Powder Springs, GA and Kevin Guffin, Dallas, GA; Loving Partner, Mary Anne Evans, Marietta, GA; Brother, R.L. (Kathleen) Guffin, Albuquerque, NM; 7 Grandchildren, Kaylee, Robert, Erin, Hunter, Bailey, Peyton and Abigail; 8 Great Grandchildr

 


No comments: