Thursday, December 10, 2020

Home Are the Hunters

 


Yesterday we celebrated our 53rd Anniversary. With the Covert-19 rampaging it was not a whole lot of celebrating. But it did bring up memories of 53 years ago.

Several weeks before the wedding we decided it would be nice rent a mountain cabin. We went to Unicoi State Park, talked to the Park Ranger, and reserved a cabin near the Waterfalls. I remember talking to old ranger. He was sad and lonely. His wife had died just a few weeks before. He told us if we needed any vegetables when we come, he had plenty of frozen vegetables his wife prepared before she died. He said, “Here, let me show you.” He led me out to a porch with a freezer. He lifted up the lid and I took my breath, I was fulling expecting a frozen granny wrapped up. But no, just plastic bags of frozen vegetables.

While there exploring Unicoi Park we came across a group of long buildings, like barracks. We asked the Ranger what were those buildings and he said it was a small prison of enemy prisons in WWII. Interesting.

Helen, Georgia, was about 5 or 6 miles away. It was just a little mountain town with a small grocery store, gas station, and very little else That was a few years before they decide to redecorate and make it an Alpine Village. Which evidently was a magnet for tourist. Also what I did not know then the Englands and my Hunters inner married and were the founders of Helen in the mid 1800s.

Also, that little skinny creek that flowed from the mountains and through Helen was the beginning of the Chattahoochee River.

Robertstown is a little town between Unicoi Park and Helen was a town of few people. It seemed on our honeymoon it was a gathering place for the “good old boys” in the area.. As I said that was before I was in genealogy, and fairly recently I found out Robertstown is mostly populated by my Trammell relatives.

No comments: