Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Charles Dawson (c1933-2018) R.I.P.





I just learned an old friend died  5 days ago.  Charles Dawson, age 86, died on December 27. 2019.

I think I got to know Charles when I was in my preteen years and he was a lifeguard at Larry Bell Swimming Pool.  In  more recent years, he regularly attended the annual Bell Gang and Varner annual reunions.

About 1985 I was talking to a new employee at the Marietta Post Office.  Her name was Judy Dawson and she was born in Marietta and grew up on West Dixie Avenue.  I said I have a friend that also lived on West Dixie and his last name is Dawson.  She said, "Charles?  that's my brother."  It is a mall world. Not long after that the Marietta Post Office was downsizing and a bunch of new people, including Judy, got transferred  to a mail processing point in Duluth, Ga.

At the Horace Orr Post American Legion, about six years ago, Charles was having a few drunks celebrating his 80th birthday.  As always, he remembered me by name.  We had a long one on one talk and he told me some things I did not know about him.  The only thing I remember off hand he was the manager of the Market Basket.  I learned today in O.M.'s post he was also a pilot and owned his own plane.

R.I.P. Charles!


No comments: