Thursday, August 15, 2019

Part of my paper route tour - Throwback Thursday


(art by Jack Davis, MAD)


II know that area fairly well.  Also on South Avenue my cousin Anthony Rollins and his mother and our grandmother lived on South Avenue.  Anthony retired from the Cobb County Sheriff Dept as a Lt. head of the crime lab. Also Jack and Neal Barfield  and the Wallace Brothers (all cousins) lived on South Avenue, I did not know them from my paper route but from Little League.

On down South Avenue on the corner of Frazer Street was a man who owned a restaurant on th 4-Lane close to Hodge Brothers Army Surplus store.  He kept a spider monkey in his front yard on a chain.  I used to buy candy at Yancy's Store one block away and toss them to the monkey.  He ate up most of my profit.  Cati-corner from him was Jackie Davidson, who was a majorette in high school, about a year or two ahead of us.  Her father was head of the water department..  Next door to the Davidson's was a man in a wheelchair named Grady.  I took the route over from Raymond "Snookey" Partain.  Snookey left Grady a free  paper every day.  Between him and the monkey I was being bled dry.  Finally I cut out his free paper.  But I didn't cut off the monkey's candy.  Across the street from Grady was a 4 apartment building.  It didn't take me long to figure out that a part time sports writer for the Marietta Journal was having an affair with a lady living in one of the apartments on the second floor.

Back at the corner of Frazer and Alexander Streets the second house up Robert Brooks and his wife Jo Ann White lived there.  Jo Ann and I are almost related, we have common relatives. (she is Larry White's sister).  In a few years Robert and I would be co-workers at the Marietta Post Office.

About three houses up Betty Guthrie and her family lived.  The lived at the corner of Frazer and Grover Street.  The 2nd house down my friend Johnny Pascoe lived.  On down the hills on Grover Street on the right Lawton Evans land his family lived.  Lawton and I were on the same Little League team, Southern Discount.  I remember he took his sport seriously and would pitch a fit and cry when we lost.

Back on Frazer Street, going back the other way:  After we cross over South Avenue there were some more apartments. same floor plan as the ones on South Avenue.  I remember one cold and windy day at one of these apartment buildings on the ground floor I was collecting.  Then the weekly subscription rate was 47 cents and I hoped they would give me two quarters and tell me to keep the change.  Anyway, as I was saying, I knocked on the door of an apartment on the ground floor.  The door to the apartment  was next to the door going outside, which for whatever reason was opened.   I knocked on the door and the lady came to the door.  She had a housecoat on. I told her  "Collecting for the Atlanta Journal and she went back, got her wallet, and came back.  As she was paying me a big gush of wind blasted through the opened outside door and lifted her housecoat up past her waist.  She had no panties on.  It was the first time I saw the female anatomy.  GOOD GOD!!

Over the next few days I told all my neighborhood friends that I thought would be interested.

The next collection day four or five of my friends met me and walked with me on my collection rounds.

At the apartment door where the lady's housecoat flew up I think looked surprised  with a bunch of preteen boys looking eagerly at her.

Boys will be boys.

No comments: