Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Cecil Grant and Georgia Petty



My mother's sister Georgia Petty Grant (1906-1966) and her husband Cecil Grant (1901-1958). Georgia was the oldest child. They had no children. Cecil worked for a thread mill and got one week a year off on vacation. They did not travel much. They lived in Chattanooga and on their one vacation a year they would come to Marietta for Georgia to visit with her siblings. While she visited Cecil went to the Southeastern Fair at Lakewood Park in Atlanta. The same routine every year. Georgia and her sisters sometimes would have a heated argument and everybody parted mad.
One time my sister Frances and I visited them for what was intended for a week. I was only 4 or 5 years old at the time. I think we lasted 3 or 4 days. I was a free-range kid and was not used to reporting or getting permission to do leave the yard. I think this drove Georgia up the wall.
Besides the annual Southeastern Fair Cecil was a man with more several interests: I think at one time he taught himself to play a string instrument ; He had a love for old 16MM black and white movies and collected them. He built a little shed behind their house and installed a movie projector. He watched on cowboy movies alone.
He met his death because of that little shack. He was roofing it and was using a metal hammer and hit a live wire.
Cecil and Georgia are buried in West Hill Cemetery in Dalton, Georgia.Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and outdoor

No comments: