Wednesday, September 02, 2009

1954 Marietta Yellow Pages P - R



click! Be sure to click on each page so you can read them.


Looking at these pages in 1954 we had a lot of physicians for such a small population.

And it also seems we had a lot of plumbers for a small populated – and when you remember many families in south Marietta around the Butler Town Community had out houses and so did many of the farms that were mostly outside the city limits.

The last page bleeds into the Rs. R for Radio. Only one station is listed, WFOM. I remember listening to WFOM and we, at the time, playing jokes on one another calling and dedicating songs to certain friends and paring them up with somebody else, which made them a highly unlikely couples.

WBIE was not listed. So, that tells me that WBIE came later, probably in 1955. James Wilder owned WBIE and it seemed he did most the announcing and most the news reporting, which some of it was on the spot news reporting. James had something like a blue and white 1955 Ford with emergency lights to take him quickly on the spot of any accident. He also made money selling photos of accident results to insurance companies.

Also, WBIE provided live radio time for Billy Joe Royal and Mickey Carlile and their rock and roll band to play. If I remember correctly, it was a regular scheduled program, around 4:30 or 5:00pm on a certain day of the week.

WBIE was a country music staiton. WFOM was a "now" radio station that played rock and roll most of the time but had dinner type music in the early evening and they also gave live broadcasts of Marietta High Football games.

And the last page on the page for H & H Radio Service. When I thought of radio repair shops I thought of this place. It was a little old house in the middle of a graveled parking lot on Waverly Way. When I think of old radio tubes I think of this place. They had radio tubes all over the place.

“what is a radio tube?” the modern-day electronics repairman might ask.



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROCK, I SAW WILLIAMS RADIO REPAIR.THAT WAS HOMER(NOT OURS)WILLIAMS DAD. IN 1980 I REBUILT A 1948 CHEVY AND MR. WILLIAMS GAVE ME ALL THE PARTS NECESSARY TO GET THE RADIO WORKING. HIS BASEMENT WAS LOADED WITH TUBES AND SUCH.HIS SHOP WAS NEXT TO BELL THEATER.

PR

Anonymous said...

It was probably WFOM that made the announcement one day that they would NOT play Elvis songs and "to please not call in requesting anything by Elvis". Amazing, huh.

I think Dr. Meaders might have been my ob/gyn in 1964. There were two others in practice with him. If you have yellow page books for the early '60s, do you mind flipping through to see who they were (on Cherokee)? I have an important reason for asking.

Who is PR?

And, Eddie, how about standing in Front of the camera for a change so I can see if you're as handsome today as you were in high school :)
G

Eddie said...

Geri,

PR is Paul Roper. He is the one on the left of the present last picture of the GOP meeting.
Now that you mention it I don't remember WFOM play Elvis songs. The colonel probably demanded too much royalty.
I only have the 1954 Yellow pages.
Paul Roper took my picture and it is on shown on the GOP meeting about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I am wearing a blue t-shirt, blue hat, and a red nose (that red nose is why I prefer to the behind the camera).

PR,
I think I remember that radio shot next door to Bell Theater. There was also a shoe shop on one side and Bell Bar & Grill on the other.

Anonymous said...

GIVE MY EMAIL TO WHOMEVER WANTS TO KNOW WHO I AM.
PR

Anonymous said...

TELL ANONYMOUS THE OTHER DOCTORS IN WITH SPEEDY MEADERS WERE RILEY AND NICHOLS. THEY WERE KNOWN AS MEADERS,RILEY, AND NICHOLS. HMM, FANCY THAT.
PR

Anonymous said...

AND BY THE WAY ROCK, YOU ARE A HANDSOME DEVIL.
PR AGAIN.

Eddie said...

PR,
If you believe that I think Homer Mules and I are going to be best buddies with you when its time to go inside the American Legion to get more beers.

Anonymous said...

I WILL BE GLAD TO BUY YOU A BEER.

HOME MUSE IS A COLOR OF A DIFFERENT HORSE'
PR

Anonymous said...

PR, if I were there, I'd kiss the daylights out of you .... thanks for the info on my ob/gyns!

Seems to me, Dr. Nichols was the youngest. Do you know if they're still around? And do you remember their "first" names?
G
(Eddie, make sure PR sees this since I'm a day late, okay).

Anonymous said...

Also, Eddie, when WFOM banned Elvis's songs, it had nothing to do with the colonel's royalties. It was Elvis's hip movement they found so sinful!
G

Eddie said...

Geri,
I forwarded your kiss to PR.
So, it wasn't the royalties but the hip action eh? My that is why in later years WFOM became a station primary a gospel radio station.

Anonymous said...

чтобы добавлять свои статьи, обязательно ли регистрироватся?