Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sarah C. Moody & Robert Cabel Tyson


This is my great-great grandmother Sarah C. Moody Tyson (1815-1896). She spent her formative years in Ball Ground, Georgia, but I think she was born in Dalton.

She was the daughter of Alan and Nancy Murphy Moody. Some of her siblings were born and died in Tunnel Hill and Dalton, Georgia. Both towns are in Whitfield County.

One of the many things I regret: A couple of years ago my sister and I made a little day trip to Whitfield County and while there I wanted to find West Hill Cemetery, which I knew I had some Petty and Trammell relatives buried in. While driving around on the little small car-paths in the cemetery, I rode by a big marker that said ALAN MOODY – which chances are good that was my g-g-g-grandfather, but I did not get out of the car and climb the bank to get a closer look and take a picture. I thought I could drive around the hill and get closer. Guess what? I could not find the marker again.

I hope to return someday for a second chance.

Sarah looks like she may be a Native American doesn’t she? That may be because of the clothing she is wearing.

Sarah married Robert Cabel Tyson (7 Oct 1821- 6 April 1864), September 30, 1843. They had eight children.

On these postings I normally just put living years, and skip over the exact date, but this time I thought for Robert Cabel Tyson the exact date was in order. If you know the history of the Cobb – Cherokee area, you know Sherman’s Yankees invaded the area in June of 1864, just short of two months before Robert Cabel died.

However – Some of Sherman’s Calvary were ahead of the regular troops and had some skirmishes. One, in the Tyson neighborhood about the same time Robert died, which I don’t know how he died, so don’t go blaming Sherman or his boys.

3 comments:

Si's blog said...

A walking history book, I do declare.

A Hall family history that showed up thanks to my genealogy site showed that a distant Revoltuionary War era uncle of my wife married an Native American (that is one politically correct thing I agree with). Her brother still refers to himself as Chief Sonny. I refer to him with other monikers - friendly ones because he is a neat New Mexico sculptor type.

Eddie said...

Si,
Wait! Back up!
You have a genealogy site?
Tell me more about your site and your sites address.

Si's blog said...

Try http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/d/a/u/Silas-Clark-Daugherty/index.html

Needs some updating. One of my kids gave me Family Tree Maker. Had a ball with it.

See the Charles Hall stuff about Georgia.