Saturday, January 24, 2009

BENJAMIN GUMP


Benjamin Button as an old man - wait! I mean a new born baby.

Last Thursday we returned to the new movie theater that we saw AUSTRALIA in to see THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON.

The last time we were there we were the only two people in the room watching the movie. This time eight more people came. We were the first paying customers there (of course). I noticed as we drove up in the huge new parking lot there were only three or four cars. There are 16 movie theaters. The man who sold us the ticket was the complete staff I think. The other cars belonged to a customer off in some theater and a contractor putting some spackling compound and scraping the side of the wall of the theater we were in. We were concerned he would still be working when the movie started. He finished up with about 4 minutes to go.

For a while I thought we again would be the only two watching the movie… but as I said, 8 other people joined us. We sat in the complete center… seven of the eight chose to sat in front, behind, and beside us. I felt crowded.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON was a very good movie… very well done, that took us through about 45 years of history in the early to mid of the 20th Century. I’m sure you know by now the uniqueness of it. Benjamin was born an old man and grew younger each day. It reminded me of a twisted version of FOREST GUMP. Great movie!

Funny – the contractor who was scraping the wall to smooth it down I think sort of got the hint he should leave and come back. Half way through the movie we were watching, in the next theater we heard on the wall….”BAM BAM BAM!!! He was banging on the wall for some reason… working or being spiteful?

6 comments:

kenju said...

Thanks for the review. If you liked it, I probably will.

Eddie said...

Thank you for that vote of confidence Judy!

Now, I will be sweating bullets hoping you really do like it.

Si's blog said...

Been thinking about putting it on our Netflix list (you have a convenient movie theatre at least). No plasterer here although now when I watch it I will feel guilty about potzrebie I need to do.

Eddie said...

We have the Blockbuster by mail plan. We went with it because twice a month we can go to the store and get videos free... but in the past six months they have closed 2 of the 3 Blockbusters near us. If they close the final one there will be no advantage of going staying with Blockbuster, so will probably move to NETFLIX.
By the way, last night we watched from our plan, TOWEL HEAD - we got it because the screenplay was written by Marietta's own Alan Ball (Six Feet Under). Strange movie.

Susan Tidwell said...

We also saw Benjamin Buttons, and I agree it is very well done, and a great story. So different from the modern action movies, a welcome change.

Eddie said...

Susan,
Yes indeed it was well done and a great story.
Something I forgot to mention, the base of the story was in New Orleans mostly in the first half of the twentieth century - and yet no racist overtones. That was pleasant to see in itself.