Sunday, January 11, 2009

Coke Was Here


This use to be Coca Cola Company years ago in Marietta.

I remember walking with my daddy up the Roswell Street Hill that the Coke building was almost at the top of pulling my wagon. Wait – now, that I am remembering details – daddy did the walking and I did the riding, in the wagon.

He would purchase a case of Cokes there. I wouldn’t think they would have any provisions for walk-in customers… but maybe it was a “who you know” thing.

Then, he would pull the wagon loaded with a wooden case of Cokes back and I had to walk… all the way back to the Clay Homes, about three blocks (downhill). Life was hell back then.

The foreground of the picture is the Marietta National Cemetery. I think I took this picture about 4 or 5 years ago. I hate to say it, but I haven’t even noticed if the building is still there. I know they have been building upscale townhouses all around it and behind it… if it is still there, it is just a matter of time until the bulldozer arrives.

6 comments:

Si's blog said...

Even Exmore had a coke bottler back in the Good Ol' Days. But, back then we had a train station and a grain terminal for the railroad.

The coke bottler has long since gone to ruin. The train station is a tiny museum that is never open. An excursion car comes once a week. The grain terminal still does a little bit of business. And all the kids go elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

I worked out of this building on a delivery truck in the summer of '65. I am glad they quit using the recycled bottles. People used to stick cigarettes and other "things" in empty Coke bottles. We picked them up and returned them to the plant for steam washing and reusing. BUT the process did not always get things out of the bottles and they would be filled up with fresh Coke to be delivered to unknowing customers. YUK!!

Skip

Eddie said...

Si,
I looked up Exmore, Va., on the map and you are surrounded by colony history around the Chesapeake Bay - that triumphs a old Coke building any day!

Skip,
That job must have tied in with your job at Dr Pepper on the 4-Lane.
Thanks for warning me about 40 years too late about the stuff not getting good out of Coke bottles.
I used to love to put my cigarettes out in Coke bottles and beer cans.
Also, I enjoyed those Coke bottles to see what town it originally came from... and bet money beforehand on the who got the bottle stamped the furtherest away.

Si's blog said...

Every time I go across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel, I think of de Grasse defeating the Brits right there and saving our Colonial asses.

Georgia ain't no shirkers in the Colonial area. I have an account of one of my wife's Georgia forebears supposedly going to Florida during the Revolution to retrieve slaves. But another account says he was a Tory who left at the request of others in the locality. Came back after the upset.

Rose Lane said...

Yep, that building is definitely still there. I pass it every once in a while. They built a really neat development of townhouses behind it. The Old Building is kind of the centerpiece of the development. It actually looks pretty cool. You should check it out.

Eddie said...

Rose,

If I was going to pick a close to town townhouse, I think I would pick one on the opposite side of the National Cemetery in the one designed to favor the old courthouse - great view... but, the one behind the old Coke building also should have a great view being the highest point in Marietta.