Friday, April 13, 2007

Woodstock - The House That Was Is now a Business


Recently a guy by the name of Chris has made some comments on this blog. I clicked on his name link and saw that he is a Woodstock resident.

I hope he visits again and sees the above picture. He might recognize it.

The picture is my great grandfather and grandmother, William A. & Emaline Ray Hunter, on their front porch of the house they built about 1902. The house is still standing today. It is on Main Street Woodstock, next to a horse boarding place with a white fence. The house now owned by American Rental Company (I think that is name, if not, it is very similar).

William is the one who grew up with the surname of Trammell in Franklin, NC, and fought in the Civil War and got injured on Kennesaw Mountain, and changed his name to Hunter – long story.

4 comments:

kenju said...

Is that Woodstock, New York?

Eddie said...

Judy,
No, Woodstock, Georgia. About 4 or 5 miles north of Marietta.

cbish68 said...

I do recognize the house. I pass by it several times a week. I will look at it differently from now on, though.

Eddie said...

Chris,
I think the horse boarding place next door was originally built by William Hunter's son Charlie Hunter.
Charlie Hunter also was the owner of Hunter's Store in the area of Hwy 92 and Bells Ferry. He also was the postmaster for that community, and he also put out a column in a Canton Newspaper called "Hunter's Store", which was a weekly sick, death, a visiting report.