Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving for the Birds

Because of a busy Thanksgiving schedule I will feed the birds today. I will put out sunflower seed in bird feeders, scratching feed on the ground, along with peanuts and kernels of Indian corn, and to top it off with a delicious lard and wild berry mix, with just hint of peanut butter suet hanging from the trees.

I wish I could find a place that sells suet bars shaped to resemble partially rotten rats – I think that would add a little gala and festive to the occasion.

Will the birds turn up their beaks at my spread because it is not the actual Thanksgiving Day? That remains to be seen. If they check their journal scratching for last year they will see I did the same thing and they ate it all and were clattering, squawking, and cheeping for more.

And the hawk that looms high in the top of the oak tree enjoyed it too. I could tell by the little bloody fragments of gray squirrel hair scattered here and there in the back yard.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

"I wish I could find a place that sells suet bars shaped to resemble a partially rotten rats – I think that would ad a little gala and festive to the occasion."

Man oh man. Hilarious.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Thank you, thank you (me bowing).