Saturday, November 04, 2006

Helping the Ex-Rich to Make the Transition


Last night on 20/20 was about the rich, powerful, and privileged. Peter Lawford’s son was interviewed, saying he got by with a lot because he was (1) rich and (2) he was a Kennedy. He said more than once charges were dropped and he was whisked out the backdoor of the police station where if the average John Q. Citizen did the same, they would have locked Mr. Average up and thrown away the key.

Part of the elite special was people with “new money”. Because they are new at the big-bucks leisure activities, they have to hire concierge'*. The congeries see that the right clothes are bought, horseback riding is given to the young, education of Horse Polo, operas, the arts, and many other things to help a new-money family to make their transition from rags to riches go smoothly.

Now, here is where I come in: What goes up must come down. The filthy rich, if they should lose their fortune because their stocks plunged or their companies go bankrupted, crooked accountants, or for whatever reason lose their fortune they also need to make the opposite transition, from Riches to Rags. The people who were born with silver spoons in their mouths have no idea how to live frugally.

For a fee I will be happy to show them how to live on a budget. I will teach them about senior’s discount Wednesday at Krogers and Publix. I will teach them about getting the most out of coupons… and how to look both ways and clip off the expiration date if it past that date. I will teach them how to casually slip in different movies at a multiplex theaters, buy one ticket and prepare to spend the day seeing all the movies. How to fill up your pockets at a all-you-can-eat buffet and more. There is so much the newly found poor will not know about survival and I am here to offer my services – for a fee, of course.

Then, if enough come my way while going down, maybe I will need to hire a concierge* when I go up.

* I hope Spell-check figured out the word I was trying to say.

7 comments:

kenju said...

Too funny, Eddie! Could I volunteer to be your assistant? I could teach them a thing or two, too!

Eddie said...

Judy,
I like that... "two, too!"

Eddie said...

Judy,
P.S.
You are hired.

Button Gwinnett said...

Eddie, I could probably take a few hints from you. It's taken me a long time to realize that when I don't use coupons, I'm just giving away my money. I guess I've gotten more practical in my 30's. I'd like to become down right frugal!

Eddie said...

Button,
If you don't use your coupon it just gives the company you are dealing with more profit... they upped the price to allow for coupons and to still make a profit.
We usually save between $15 and $30 a week in grocery coupons a week, plus at least one restaurant coupon at a minimum of five bucks.
Williamson Brothers BBQ started putting a buy a platter and get a platter free coupon in the paper every week - now the waitresses just about know us by name.

Suzanne said...

There are too many people who can probably teach these jerks a thing or two. It is one of the reasons that I loathe Paris Hilton and the ilk. So many people admire her, and she is just a useless space filler. You and my mother-in-law, on the other hand, can teach people things about coupons, but these are not such valued skills. My mother-in-law uses coupons in a way that somehow allows her to make money. It is most impressive.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Today Anna and I went grocery shopping. The cashier ringed up $107. Then Anna whipped out her coupons and after it was all deducted the net bill was $55. Over 50% savings. Not bad.