Saturday, October 14, 2023

History was made, right there, just feed away!

 

Today I drove by the emission testing place that I had our vehicles ‘ emissions tested this past July.  I recalled the young man who did the testing.   I noticed he had a couple of books in his personal area, so I suppose he likes to read when time allows.

He is a young man, probably born this century. 
It occurred to me he might be interested in a historical newsy thing that happened just about 100 feet from there years before he was born.  There was no one waiting, so I told him:

 

Across the street is a building that rent spaces to small businesses.  One of the spaces was a dentist office.  In the spring of 1979 a Cobb County deputy Sheriff brought in some Cobb County prisoners for dental work.  I forgot the details but the bottom line is that one of the prisoners escaped from the dental office but not without killing someone.

The law enforcers went on high alert looking for the escaped prisoner.  They found him in a garbage bin across the street two stores up.

The night of the escape I was concerned and interested because my wife was at a birthing exercise given less than a mile away.  That was our second son  my wife was pregnant with. That is why I remember the year and the time of the year.

The emission technician appreciated hearing about the grounds he worked on.  I could tell, his eyes widened.

No comments: