Saturday, September 10, 2022

The Atlanta Federal Penitentiary and Coloring Books

Just after I got out of the Navy in 1965 I went to work for the Atlanta New Agency. The Atlanta News Agency distributed magazines and books to stores with a magazine rack in North Georgia. The had about a dozen route men and I was one of them. One time management had 10,000 coloring books loaded in each route man's van. They told us to assign them to any of the customers. The knew most of them would be returned but the good part they would be not in their possession during the official inventory that they would have to pay taxes on. The Atlanta Federal Penitentiary was on my route, and one of my customer. That day I loaded 10,000 coloring books on the receiving dock and the man signed for them. Whew! I did my job. For the next week or two I expected to see the 10,000 coloring books in boxes on the dock for credit. I never did. They kept them.

No comments: