Monday, September 05, 2022

DRAGONCON in Atlanta Years Ago

I know this is a busy holiday weekend (including Monday) will not have the time to do all that Atlanta has to offer this weekend. I’m here to help. If Dragoncon is one of those places you wanted to go but can’t work it in, time-wise or budget here are some pictures I took of DragonCon about the year 2000, maybe 1999. My son Adam took the picture of Al Feldstein and me. Al Feldstein, the editor of MAD Magazine for over 30 years.
Al Feldstein and me. I was ready to give him a piece of my mind for taking over a job my hero Harvey Kurtzman created for himself but after talking to Al I found out he was a very congenial guy. I forgave him. He was then living in the Rockys making paintings of the local Native American lore. He has since died.
Denis Kitchen. The owner of Kitrchen Sink Publications. Kitchen Sink published a lot of my kind of books, like MAD, KURTZMAN, and LI’L ABNER COMIC STRIPS. I talked to Denis and he told me in detail his plans of publishing the best of HELP Magazine (Harvey Kurtzman editor). It never happened. I think he might have sold the publishing company.
Skip Williamson. Skip lived in Marietta and we were drinking buddies for a while. Thanks to him he got my son Adam and me into DragonCon free. He created the underground hero SAMMY SMOOT. I think his last gig was painting body paint on nude female dancers at a night club in Atlanta.

No comments: