Tuesday, March 09, 2021

Good Drunk Auto Mechanic

 


On the Red Carpet before the Academy Awards I have heard several people say something to the effect that a designer "made" them a clothes item to wear this special night. I wondered if anybody has ever "made" me anything. I racked my memory and I finally came up with something.

After I got out of the Navy I bought a Triumph Spitfire.

In time something went wrong with the transmission. I could only get two gears to work, I think they were 2nd and reverse. At a Sinclair Service Station in Atlanta I pulled over and asked the owner could he do anything to help me. He looked like he would be cheap.

He was also drunk. He and his drinking buddy got working on my transmission . I heard a lot of banging and clanging and cursing. One time one of them came in the office to look for a coat hanger, found it and said, "This will do it!" And left again.

They "made" me a transmission, tailored made. I felt honored.

No comments: