Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Big Wheel Keeps on Turning

 




I heard on the news that a Tina Turner Special is in the works.  I don’t know if a “comeback” or Tina lookalike is being planned.  It brought back memories of the time I saw her in person:

I was released from active duty in the Navy July 9th, 1965.  It took me about a day to drive back to Georgia, and a couple of days to reconnect with my hometown friends.  So, this happened about July thr 14th, give or take a day or two.

Monty Calhoun called me and said he and some more were going to the Royal Peacock Nightclub in Atlanta to see Ike and Tina Turner perform, did I want to go.  Yep!  Ike and Tina Turner’s music was heard all the time then.  I liked their hyper energized beat.

The Royal Peacock was in Atlanta in an all black area.  It was owned and operated by blacks and their clientele were mostly black.  If I remember correctly they had an admission charge but did not have a pouring license so they sold set-ups.  Bowl of ice, glasses, and maybe Cokes, ginger ale, and thinks.

We got fairly good seats, near up front Ike had his electric guitar, Tina had her frilly mini skirt that seemed to send at her hips, and the Iketts, a group of back-up ladies.  Their rocky fast paced music almost set the building on fire… well, not really on fire, but it seemed that if they had stopped their music suddenly the building would just keep on rocking anyway.  Ike had a special relation with his guitar, he could flick his tongue his guitar and make perverted sounds.  Tina dance and her whole body vibrated like she really put her body and soul in her body language – WOW!d she seemed to be having organisms. 

WHAT A SHOW!


No comments: