Wednesday, April 04, 2018

MLK's Death




Fifty years ago, this evening, Anna and I went to Atlanta to the Bottom of the Barrel, a pub, near Tech, off Peachtree Street.  We had reservations to see folk singer Odetta.

A man came from the back room.  He made a quick announcement:  Odetta would not be performing due to the assignation of Dr. Martin Luther King.
We left awed. 

The whole Atlanta area was deadly quiet for the next couple of days
I worked for Sinclair Refining Company on Parrott Avenue, with three huge petroleum tanks on top of the hill behind us.  Our manager heard of some people saying Atlanta was going to burn.  He told us we would have to stand guard at the tanks through the night.

I was wondering how I was going to talk myself out of that assignment when the higher ups decided against it.  I don’t remembered if they hired professional guards to watch the tanks or not.

One of our Sinclair Service Station owners provided the mule that pulled the wagon MLK’s body was on.

I think everybody that I know of was very respectful except the Governor at that time.

LATER:  It was put on the news, in relation to the MLK assignation to be on the lookout for a white Mustang with a certain state’s license plate.  We had about five salaried Sinclair Service Stations in Atlanta.  The manager of the one at Peachtree and 14th Streets called me and said the white Mustang that was on the news was in the station that same moment and wanted the number to call.  I don’t remember if we found it to tell him or not.  I was the last voice to talk to Barry that is known.


Barry disappeared, probably forever.

Barry’s wife had a hard time making ends meet.  She had to wait a year of Barry being missing to have him declared legally  dead for life insurance and to sell stuff in his name.  I bought their  PV544 Volvo.

No comments: