Thursday, April 26, 2018

Giving Braves Verbal Advice






Yesterday researched online for the Atlanta Braves Standing.  It I read it right, in he National League East group the Braves are right in the middle.  There are two teams with a higher standing and two teams with a lower standing.

Maybe they need me.  I am rather clumsy at sports, but being on the outside looking in I can see what is needed.

Back in the 1980s when we went to some Braves games with our boys’ teams and/or scout troops I shouted out some pretty good advice.

For instance, one time they were down a couple of points in the 9th Inning .  The bases were loaded and Dale Murphy was up at bat. 

Everybody was hollowing for Dale to hit a home run or grand slammer.  Going along with the crowd I was hollowing too.  Just as I bellowed out for Dale “KNOCK IT OUT OF THE PARK DALE!!”  Just a moment before I shouted it everything fell silent.   My voice carried  over the whole stadium and even echoed because of the speakers.

Dale, holding his bat, looked up in my direction.  He motioned something and Bobby Cox came running up to him.  He and Bobby talked a moment, with Dale pointing in my direction and Bobby Cox now looking in my direction too and nodding.

Bobby got on his walkie-talking looking up my way.  Suddenly, two neat men in blazers came  with some papers rolled up.  They shook my hand and unrolled the paper.  It was a diagram of the “Ted” Stadium.  We quickly went over what I said, and what the results would be if Dale took my advice.

One of the young men quickly got on his walkie-talkie and said, “He’s right!  Do it now!”

Then I saw Bobby, near the dug out looking up our way with the walkie-talkie to his ear.  He nodded and turned around to the plate and gave Dale the “Thumbs up” and the rest is history.

Dale struck out.

And then I woke up.


No comments: