Saturday, March 05, 2016

Celtic Music Concert




We went to a church tonight  to listen to a Celtic concert.  It was a one man, I mean, one woman show.  This young lady is a senior at a prestige college that I think everybody there probably majors in music.  She just  traveled to Ireland, Scotland, and Canada in pursuit of Celtic Music.  
She was  the leader of every song.  She played the violin mostly, but did sing some also.  The musicians that accompanied her in various combinations were:  her roommate who played a flute; two other student-musicians who played the guitar and a percussion instrument; a piano player, her aunt who played the harp; her father playing the guitar; and her mother who sung a lively duo with her.  Her mother was very expressive when she sung, body language-wise.
It was all very entertaining and I got the sense of good Irish and Scottish music traditional music.  One song had such a beat to it everybody was stomping their feet keeping tune, the music  getting better and better with each stanza - I was really getting the feeling of the sense of Celtic Music when suddenly everything went black.  Later they told me I ripped off my shirt and jumped up on the stage and did my own rendition of River Dance.*


*The last sentence was completely fabricated.  

No comments: