Monday, December 21, 2015

Today is National HUMBUG DAY!



Cover of  first issue of HUMBUG magazine.




Today is National HUMBUG DAY!  Really!   From time to time I look at a little website telling what  National Day or International Day is.   Well, today is National HUMBUG DAY, plus about 3 or 4 other National Day.

HUMBUG is a special word for me.  It is a word rarely used. 

I think I first heard of it in an old movie that Ebeneezer Scrooge uttered in disgust when people were celebrating the joy of Christmas in Charles Dickens' A CHRISTMAS CAROL.

The next time I heard it was when Larry Bradford, I, and some others were kicked out of the Strand Theater for life.  I even forgot what we were doing, but the usher and manager thought being kicked out of the theater for life was appropriate and  would make us less troublesome.  When Larry 's mother heard our punishment  she said, HUMBUG!" then she stormed down to The gleaming sparkling Strand Theater and took the manager and usher on.

I don't know what she said but management retreated and reduced our theater suspension down to a week.

Not long from that incident at the Strand a new publication hit the magazine stands called HUMBUG Magazine.  I thought it was the best magazine ever.  I felt that way because the original creating staff of MAD comicbook chipped in their own money and started it. 


HUMBUG was much better than MAD.   HUMBUG lasted eleven issues before it bankrupted.

No comments: