Wednesday, March 05, 2014

J.O. Prance Gets a Haircut





This  is the cover of  the latest issue (Spring 2014) of GEORGIA BADCKROADS magazine.   I have been subscribing to it since it was called NORTH GEORGIA TRAILS..... really! 

When I picked  up the mail yesterday  as soon as I saw the cover I knew immediately  who was getting a haircut and nearly correct on who the barber was.  I have seen this picture countless of times.

I  thought it was Anna's great uncle Bob Bettis cutting Anna's grandfather J.O. Prance's hair.  It was not Bob Bettis cutting J. O.'s but his son, probably the oldest Cecil Bettis  doing barber duty.

James Oscar Prance (1880 - 1961) was a farmer and lived on Hawkins Store Road.  He and his wife Lessie  Mae Wright Prance  (1891-1957) are buried at Noonday Baptist Church  near Marietta, Georgia.   James Cecil Bettis (1900-1969) and his wife  Clara Voyles  (1905-1994) are buried at Sandy Plains Baptist Church, also near Marietta.

Cecil's mother was Ida Lovonia  Prance (1878-1958) and his father Bob Bettis (1868 - 1961) are also buried at Sandy Plains Baptist Church..  Ida and J.O. are siblings.


The barn and outbuildings in the picture is part of Bob Bettis's farm.  Bob Bettis Road in Marietta was their driveway before it was a road.

I'm sure the picture came from the VANISHING GEORGIA PROJECT.  About 35 years ago my mother-in-law Marie and I carried a lot pictures to the Kennesaw House to the Vanishing Georgia Project.  Local historian Bowling Yates sat down with one person at a time and wrote down the people in the pictures.

The main reason I put this post on a blog is that my sister-in-law, Thelma, who is spending a few winter months in Florida, can read it on her electronic gizmo.  Hi Thelma!

No comments: