Monday, May 07, 2012

New Word (to me): GENTRIFICATION


While watching HARRY I was introduced to a new word:  GENTRIFICATION

I looked up GENTRIFICATION on Wikipedia and read this:

"Gentrification and urban gentrification refer to the changes that result when wealthier people ("gentry") acquire or rent property in low income and working class communities.[1] Urban gentrification is associated with migration within a population. In a community undergoing gentrification, the average income increases and average family size decreases. It is commonly believed that this results in the displacement of the poorer, pre-gentrification residents, who are unable to pay increased rents or house prices and property taxes. Often old industrial buildings are converted to residences and shops. In addition, new businesses, catering to a more affluent base of consumers, move in, further increasing the appeal to more affluent migrants and decreasing the accessibility to the poor."

Now I know why The Clay Homes Low Income Projects, where I spent my first seven years, and my old paperroute neighorhood has been bulldozed away.  The rich rule!

It also explains the Indian Removal (TRAIL OF TEARS) in 1838. 

It also looks unconstitutional to me.  Pretty soon it will be illegal to be poor, or have a low-income.