Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Stop the Bubble Machine!



Late yesterday afternoon with a flick of the eye all my cookies and favorite vanished from my computer.

What happened is that I wanted to scan something and noticed my printer/scanner was off. I turned it on and it still did not recognize I had a scanner. Most of the time when you first turn on the computer it checks around of all things on and hooked up and that is what it thinks it has. If you turn on something afterwards, like the scanner, it will not recognize it is there. I turned off and on the computer by the "restart" selection.

It went off and instantly came back on. Missing all that I said, plus my email.

It is a new computer. I called the help desk. A man with an Indian accent very patiently helped me. He walked me through many things and only got defensive and snappy once. Sometime during our telephone conversation it came out that he was in India.

He not only fixed the problem I called about but for a little added bonus he either brought out or loaded a screensaver on my computer. LIttle bubbles, like kids blow with little bubble blowers starting floating on the screen. Then I heard a "meow!"

I expected a cat to come on the screen and start swatting at the bubbles, all part of the show. But no cat appeard. The bubbles stopped eventually and we heard the "Meow!" again.

"What's that?" we asked.

You could tell the technician was embarrassed. He humbly said, "My cat".

That's it. It made him human, that's all.

3 comments:

G said...

Glad you got it straightened out. Our new computer is now a year old, and I've spoken to many people from India, who always manage to fix my problem no matter how incompetent I sound on the phone, beginning with comments such as "Something isn't working here". lol

The meow story is cute. I saved sylvester's pic on my HD because of our "first names" :) ... now I'll have to find the 'mouse'.

Eddie said...

G,
I was thinking about Tom of Tom and Jerry, but decided Sylvester the Cat would be easier for Google.

S and G? I don't get it.

G said...

My post was confusing ...
"our first names" refers to Tom and me. People associate us with the cartoon or the drink.