Sunday, April 25, 2010

SUNDAY FUNNIES - THE SPIRIT



First, I want to apologize for not having a Sunday Funnies last Sunday. My partying go in the way of my production. I could skip this one wit the name excuse because last night was the Varner's Reunion, but all excuses and no production might run some of my faithful comic books fan away. I'll do this, then get back editing my Varner pictures from last night.

This SPIRIT story was originally published in 1952. If you see the poster on the beginning splash page it ways by Will Eisner. Well, it was by Will Eisner in SPIRIT only (pardon by pun). It was by Will Eisner the same way Walt Disney comics was by Walt Disney. The only thing they used their pens for was to sign the pay checks. Each had a team of talented artists doing the art work. However, they both sat the mood and the style. Getting back to The Golden Lily starring Staring the Spirit, they have a very urban-Alfred Hitchock-lens about them... with a little jazz thrown in. And the story-plot style is straight out of the 40s and 50s black & white movies.






2 comments:

Postino said...

Eddie, what publication is this from? I don't recognize it. You're right it's not Will Eisner's artwork, but I don't know who drew it.

Eddie said...

El,
No, I think it just came off Eisner's production line. It is THE SPIRIT #84, which was printed by KITCHEN SINK COMICS.