Monday, December 22, 2008

Eggnog Research


We had some unspiked eggnog yesterday evening.

The taste reminded me of a time in the middle 1940s that we went to visit my grandmother in Rossville, Georgia, at Christmas time. Grandma, her daughter and grandson lived on top of a big hill. One of her sons was currently living with them and had a job at a grocery in nearby Chattanooga. He was just home from his hitch in the Navy during the War. His name was Osmo.

Osmo had some eggnog he kept from view. He whispered something to his two brothers Bill and Leonard and they stepped in a little room and they passed the eggnog bottle around. All three bothers passing the bottle around had been in the war. Bill in the Army and Leonard inthe Navy.

I don’t remember the two oldest brothers Tom and Wallace participating in passing the eggnog jug… or the two son-in-laws, my father and Cecil.

Except me. I was about 6 or 7 years old. I begged and pestered Osmo wanting a drink of the secret potion. Osmo finally handed me the bottle but not before looking off towards the front of the house to see my mother talking to her siblings.

The eggnog was rich and potent. But at least I had enough sense to have one gulp and quick. After all, it was just research.

4 comments:

Si's blog said...

Ready to do some experimentation.

Eggnog has alcohol, but even worse is the calories and cholesterol.

Mom and Dad and their families always had some eggnog, both with and without, at some point. On the buffet in the dining room. Home made, of course. Lots of discussion about the best way to make it.

These days, it is just from the bottle down to the Food Lion if at all. Something is missing.

Next time I have some, I will think of your dirty picture.

Eddie said...

Si,
Tis the time of the year to toss aside fears of calories and cholesterol and enjoy life, or end it - whichever comes first.

kenju said...

A likely story, Eddie!


Merry Christmas!

Eddie said...

Judy,
I like the story too.