Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Marietta Station Walk


Marietta Station Walk looks like a nice pleasant walk, and many times it is. Other times might find you face to face with a panhandler with his hand out.

It is next to the rail road tracks. I know in yesteryear hobos used the boxcars as a mode of transportation, I don't know about today, probably some.

I never will forget a time in the 1940s that my sister and I was visiting our grandmother and aunt in Cohutta, Georgia, a saw a hobo.

A road was in front of my grandmother and aunt's house which was on a small hill, then an open field on the other side of the road.*

And a track was on the other side of the field.

It was just a short walk to downtown Cohutta. When the train stopped downtown the boxcars lined up in our view as we sat in the front yard. One time a man with a large sick was walking to each boxcar and opening the door, looking around and then slamming the door and going to the next one. One door he opened, out sprang a man and once he hit the ground he took off running. The man with the club chased him for a while but I think he gave up. I was glad the poor man got away.

*The open field belonged to Marla Maples' family and so did house my grandmother and aunt rented.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Do you mean Marla Maples, the ex-wife of The Donald?

kenju said...

My dad was a hobo during the Depression, but he went out west, so I guess your hobo wasn't him...LOL

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
Yep, Marla Maples, the ex-wife of Donal Trump. I put Maria didn't I? What I did I googled her and googled asked me about the same question, "Do you mean......? I think my poor eyesight jumbled the letters.

Judy,
It could have been. Maybe your dad forgot something and had to come back.