Friday, August 22, 2008

The 7th Sense: “I see Invisible People!”



The Invisible Man strikes again!

This week Willow gets two workouts. She gets one with me about daylight, and within 30 minutes after we return she is off again with our neighbor’s daughter, while the daughter is visiting.

The other morning I passed a mother and son, about 8 years old, waiting on the bus. The boy is red headed. I met the mother at the previous neighborhood New Years Eve party. She was very nice. And a few times, she has waved as she passed us when she was leaving for work.

When I saw her and her red headed son I thought to wave good naturally. We were on waving terms, so I thought.

She looked right through me. But the red headed boy waved.

I thought that maybe she just didn’t notice me, I am easily to not to notice. I waved again, again, she just didn’t notice me – and this time the red headed boy only raised his hand about half way, I guess, because he mother wasn’t waving.

I thought I would look like an idiot if I waved again and again until I forced her to wave. It was time for Willow and I to move on down the street.

The next morning the lady again was standing with her red headed son waiting on the bus. This time she gave me big joyful wave…. Her wave was wide enough to wash a car window… she should take up car window washing down on the side streets in Atlanta.

But, she made sure I saw her wave. I think after we walked on her red headed son told her that man with the dog waved at her and why didn’t she wave back. Then she probably saw me and remembered me. Then she felt bad.

So, her wave was something like saying, “See? I am not snubbing you!!!”

Another thing I noticed on my walk before daybreak is one house that has a bug zapper outside in their back yard. I read recently that an electronic bug zapper kills off more good insects that are good for the human race, such as spreading pollen and whatever else they can do good for us… while only about one in a hundred zaps kills a female mosquito – the female likes human blood.. the male mosquito prefers tree sap.

At least the humans feel better about themselves when they hear the popping sound that tells them their machine fried another one of those tiny creatures.

4 comments:

kenju said...

We had a bug-zapper about 25 years ago, when we moved to this house. It made so much noise (mostly zapping moths) that when it got an electrical problem, I never had it fixed. About 5 years later, it fell out of the tree it was hooked to (back in the woods) and as far as I know, it's still there.

Eddie said...

Judy,
My late neighbor had one and he enjoyed sitting out watching the insects get zapped. I used to tell him that was cruel past time he had... and I also kidded him about the bugs flying by me to get to his light.

Suzanne said...

Maybe she was completely lost in thought the day before. Sometimes that happens to me. I get so wrapped up in whatever is going on in my head that I don't notice anyone around me. This probably bodes poorly for me as a potential crime victim, but I might not even notice if someone tries to mug me and just keep walking by, so who knows?

Eddie said...

Suzanne,

I am sure you are right. About 15 minutes before I saw the lady bus driver pulled over to the side and she was having a hard time getting int into gear... you could hear the gears grinding. But, before I got out of her sight she got the bus moving, but was probably running late.

I think that is why she was transfixed - she was wondering where the school bus was and was it coming or just running late.

But it still made me invisible.