Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Dolittle Family



I remember my father telling me of a man who worked for the Cobb County Rabies Control, aka Dog Catchers that could talk to dogs. If a wild dog was hiding and alluding authorities this man could go out in the brush, bushes, and trees where the dog was hiding and talk him into coming on in – give himself up, so to speak.

I suppose now he would be called the Dog Whisperer.

Or several years ago he would probably be nicknamed Doctor Dolittle.

Across the street the family talks to animals…. Well, that is nothing special, I suppose everybody talks to their pet, I know I do. But when they talk to their animals they expect a response of some kind.

A couple of weeks ago I heard the 17 year son holler for their dog to come back. He said something like, “You get yourself back here!!
You better come back before I count to three.
One… two…… “

He didn’t finish counting, I think he realized that either he or the dog did not know the next number.

A few months ago up at Allatoona Lake the father saw that somebody was about to drown a bunch of baby kittens in a box. He rescued them and brought them home.

That is the good thing he did. He should have kept on his good roll and carry them to the Cobb County Humane Society Animal Shelter.

Instead, he let them out and let them wander away…now, they are all grown and all over the neighborhood. Two of them stayed with them.

This morning I saw the father bent over a white cat and shout, “How many times have I told you not to cross the street?”

Evidently, the cat was thinking and had not came up with a figure when the father shouted again, “How many times damn it!!”

I was curious myself what the cat was going to say, but I had things to do, I couldn’t wait around to hear it.

2 comments:

kenju said...

"....He didn’t finish counting, I think he realized that either he or the dog did not know the next number."


Priceless, Eddie!! I love it.

Eddie said...

Judy,
That bunch does something daily to surprise or amuse us.