Friday, December 28, 2007

Who Has Been Shitting In My Yard?


Each morning on our walk, no matter how many times Willow has urinated or dumped, at a certain spot she is going to pee. I don’t know if she has a vow of some kind to always pee at a certain point – a religious thing?

The pee target mark is nothing spectacular. It is on the street, at the end of a driveway, and about 15 feet from the corner of two streets.

This morning as she was squatted in the spot doing her daily homage I remembered Tony H. and his dump spot. We went to Waterman Street Grammar School and walked home everyday.

On the southeast corner of Atlanta and Frasier Streets was the Clay home. The Clay family members were leaders of the area and the world. There is a statue in Glover Park on the Square of Senator Alexander Stephens Clay. His son was Army General Lucius Clay who was responsible for the Berlin Airlift – he was a hometown hero.

One day on the way home from school Tony H. had an urge to take a dump. The trees and trimmed bushes in the Clay front yard provided the privacy he needed. He went behind a bush and relieved his bowels.

He emerged telling that was the first time he had used magnolia leaves (I think) as toilet paper and it was just right.

For the next year or so, I remember Tony taking a dump in the yard a couple of times. I was the lookout, sitting on the rock wall in front of the Clay Home by the sidewalk. If anybody approach I was to holler for Tony to run. Fortunately, neither of us had to run.

I guess I should point out that at that time Tony’s family did not have indoor plumbing. They had an outhouse in the back yard. Maybe that had something to do with all this, I don’t know.

7 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

My great Aunt, Terry Llyon Colquitt, was in possession of General Clay's mother's china, in the 1960's. I have no idea where she got it, maybe at auction, but she was very proud of it. It is now in possession of the First Baptist Church of Cedartown and they lend her china and silver for important events like weddings, as her will dictated.

My husband has Clay ancestors. Maybe we should trace them back past the great grandfather and g'mother Clay who are buried around the corner here. G'mother Clay was born a Fiveash. Her parents are also buried in the little Lane-Durham cemetery, in the corner of a huge irrigated field no longer in possession of the Lanes.

Eddie said...

Jean,
That is interesting. Recently on a local TV interview on the county education county Chuck Clay was interviewed and he talked about his ancestors, and how they came to Cobb County and I think he said they came from one of the Carolinas. I taped it, I'll have to go back and look at it after the holiday fever pitch has calmed down and take a few notes and tell you exactly what he said.

Anonymous said...

First of all, when you gotta, you gotta go. Second, I firmly believe that dogs communicate through taking craps all over town. This is like "Kilroy was here" back in WW2.

Third, it wasn't me. I have been home since Thursday. Though we blazed through the bypass on Thursday, we didnt stop.

And thats no shit.

Eddie said...

Steve,
Are you bullshitting me?

Anonymous said...

Shit no, Buddy.

Carolyn said...

A comfortable crap requires a comfortable crapping place, or at least one that is familiar. That's why I prefer to go at home, lol!

My dog Ginger has her same spots she likes to "go" on our walks. Unfortunately, it's on the curb of the local state representatives house, haha!

Eddie said...

Carolyn,
Maybe Ginger is delivering the rep a message!