Thursday, December 20, 2007

Speaking of Hunt’s Ice Cream



A few blogs ago I mentioned Hunts Ice Cream of Marietta.

Here is where the Hunts lived. I took this picture about two years ago. It would be impossible for me, or any once else, to take that picture today – the house burned down since then.

It was a hospital in the Civil War. It was one of the houses my father spent the night in looking for ghosts when he was a teenager.

The backyard also had a big green layout. We used to play touch ball on the back lawn when we were kids. I don’t think it occurred to us to ask permission. The yard was big and pretty so it probably was opened to the public was our reasoning. No one from the house ever came out and told us to get off their property.

In the early 1900s the house was owned and lived in by the grandparents of Mary Phagan, the little girl Leo Frank was lynched for raping and killing at the pencil factory in Atlanta. Many books have been written on the subject.

5 comments:

Michael Bains said...

I'd have been all over that yard too. Wow! What a great "field"!

Eddie said...

Michael,
You have?

EHT said...

When I was in middle and high school I read everything I possibly could regarding the Mary P. case. It was so interesting. Now I have another piece of the puzzle so to speak. :)

Eddie said...

eht,
When I found out the elite of Marietta planned and pulled strings for the lynching I kind of took a step backwards. Now, I am reading the latest book on the subject.

Bhob said...

There was also a Broadway musical about Mary Phagan titled PARADE.

And a TV movie, THE MURDER OF MARY PHAGAN. Filmed in another state tho, I think.