Friday, February 17, 2006

23 Skiddoo!!!


"Just Ask Judy" blog (link on the right) inspired me to post this picture.
The roaring 20s gal on the right is my father's only sister, Bee - short for Beatrice. At the time of the picture she worked for Southern Bell. By all the pictures I have seen of her of those times, she was dressed to be a "Thorough Modern Millie" kind of girl.

It must have paid off. She married a man that owned half of downtown Marietta. They had five children and adopted two more. They lived in a big house and it was big enough to hold bodies of my grandparents' caskets for wakes or whatever (different years).

Back in the late 40s and 50s I remember she always drove a hawg of a Caddy. She always had a downhome appeal about her with a very thick southern accent.

One thing I never could figure out, her and her kids would take their vacations to Florida, separate from her husband.

She smoked with the flair of a movie star. She was born in 1903 and died in 1971 of cancer.

2 comments:

kenju said...

Love that pic! She was pretty, at least she looks like she might have been. I can see her stockings rolled down to just under the knee. My grandma used to do that in the 40's; a left-over habit from the 20's.

Eddie said...

Now that you mention it, I remember my grandmother with rolled-down stockings too.