Sunday, February 13, 2022

Lecture by Dr. Thomas Scott at the Marietta History Center (new name)

We attended a lecture by Dr. Thomas Scott at the Marietta History Center (new changed name) on mostly how to handle interviewees on your pursuit of history. The essential basic message, I think, is to be fair and kind. Everybody has their own story and their version of it. You don’t want to misquote someone that might come back on you negatively. I would think the Gold Rule would work. Speaking of interviewing, it reminded me of a time when I interview a 90 plus year old great uncle. I didn’t realize it until I was well in the interview that he remembered nothing of the past except the quirks and eccentricities of his mule. He told some times the mule would get mad at him and refused o pull the blow and so on. He finally sold the mule but missed her, so he would sometimes drop by and visit her on rainy days.

No comments: