Friday, February 21, 2020

Two Commodes Facing Each Other






This picture of two commodes facing each other reminds me of the month of January 1965 aboard the USS NEWPORT NEWS.

The enlisted men heads had toilets facing each other.  However, they were in rows and much closer to each other.  It was almost impossible not to do a little knee touching.

And I never figured out the proper social etiquette for close dumping.  Do you look away, even though your face is not far from his?  Do you talk sports?  Do you even recognized the person with a nod?

Every time I went to the head it was full, you were in a line waiting your time.  I even decided surely in the middle of the night there would be no waiting line.  I was wrong.

The plan of our ship was to go up the Mississippi River 50 or so miles to the Crescent City New Orleans.  There we were to meet a HER MAJESTY SHIP and reenact THE BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS.

THE BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS was actually the  last hurrah of the War of 1812.  But it was worse than the last hurrah, it was a hurrah that should have never been.  It was fight after the U.S.A. and England made peace.  Neither side in New Orleans was notified.

As we docked meeting the Brits was not my concern.  I had to take a dump real bad.  I was dancing I had to take one so bad.

I rushed off the ship and went down Canal Street and in the first motel I signed up for a room and went directly to the bathroom.

Sigh.

No comments: