Thursday, February 06, 2020

Speaking of Politicians





Remember Georgia Governor, segregationist, owner of the Pickrick Lester Maddox?  I think this picture represents him bringing the locomotive THE GENERAL home to Kennessaw (Big Shanty) where James Andrew and his Andrew's Raiders stole it in  the Civil War. Thus inspiring two movies about THE GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE.

I got to talk to Lester the day  he was sworn in as governor.  I worked at Sinclair Refining Company and the day he took the oath he called the office I worked in and asked to speak to W.W. Fowler (a campaign worker for him).  He said, "This Lester Maddox, I mean Governor Lester Maddox.."

I remember seeding him years later in a little store in Underground Atlanta hawking his Pickrick souvenirs  such as ax handles and alarm clocks with Lester's arms as hands.

No comments: