Friday, December 07, 2018

Blind Willy, I mean Blind Willow





Willow is almost totally blind now.  I can tell when I call her to come, I can be about ten feet from her and she will look around trying to figure out where my voice came from.   At the dog park when she is ready to go she will walk in the direction of the human voices and smell all the shoes until she comes upon mine, then wags her tail saying in body language she is ready to go home.  She, like me, has a short attention span.

When you are close you can see the white cataracts just about smother her eyeballs.

She doesn’t seem to be as bothered about it as much as we are.  It crept up on her slowly which allowed  time for her to learn how to solve the problems that come with blindness.   I think she has memorized the back yard, every tree, small hill, pine straw ground cover, and it all.  Every day she slowly walks around and smells of everything to make sure all things are still there.

She is 12 years old, or 84 in dog years.

I am her seeing eye- human.



No comments: