Friday, September 15, 2017

Whale Watching In Alaska




Imagine  me standing on a whaling ship rocking in dangerous waters.  See me limp on the deck with  a peg leg concentrating on the waves, waiting for the great white whale to jump up out of the sea, breach, in a mocking sneering away. and dives back into the water. See me with a hard grip on my harpoon ready... me, Captain Ahab.

Wait!  I am not in the Moby Dick novel.   I was in Alaska, just off the shore  of Juneau in a whale watching tourist boat.  They guaranteed we would see a whale.  They also had free cupcakes they just baked.

Here are pictures of the whales we saw:

It looks like a miniature  Nemo's Nautilus doesn't it?



Take a break to look at the Sea Lions socializing and sunning.



click on the picture to make it larger.  Then squint.



Same as above, look hard.


Later on another excursion  (train to the Yukon) a young lady showed us the pictures on her smart phone she had taken from the boat she was on while whale watching.  There was a very close up picture of a huge whale tail about to take a deep dive; another one, also close-up,  of a whale breaching about 10 to 20 feet up in mid-air; and another, also close-up, of a whale near the edge of the boat that it looked the back of huge serpent.

She used her smart phone.  I used an expensive Nikon camera.

While I was so close to the smart phone in her hand I could have easily grabbed that retched phone and toss it out the train car's window and watch it bounce on the rocks on the cliff below breaking into pieces and I say "Opps!"

But I didn't.

No comments: