Thursday, June 10, 2010

This Day in History: ♫OooooOOOOOOoooo♪



The above ♫OooooooOOOOOOooo♪ is me doing two imitations at once, Howlin’ Wolf and Janis Joplin.

On this date in history, in 1910, Howlin’ Wolf (Chester Arthur Burnett) was born. He was born in White Station, Mississippi, and became a blues musician strumming a guitar and blowing a harmonica. In the movie CADILLAC RECORDS he was portrayed as a musician with high ethics. According to Google he was an imposing 6’6” tall. He died on his birth date in 1976. He is on several of our ESSENTIAL BLUES CDs that we bought at the HOUSE OF BLUES. It is enjoyable to listen to him.



On this date in history , in 1988, Louis L’Amour, western writer died. I never read anything by him but heard a lot about him. The other day in a used book store while piddling around I saw a whole row of books by L’Amour and picked one up and read the first page. I was hooked by the writing style. I almost added that to our purchases, then decided, naw, I have enough reading on my plate already, and regretfully put it down. Another time, Louis!

On this date in 1943, Franklin D. Roosevelt was a busy man. He was the first president to visit a foreign country during wartime. The on-line almanac that I refer to did not say which country. I know when a president visits a country during hostel areas they sometimes keeps it a secret until he is back safely in our country. Maybe it is the same this time – only they just forgot to lift the secret ban.

Also on the same date, 1943, wherever Roosevelt was he signed the Withholding Tax bill into law.

And millions of people across the United States said and are still saying:

What Me Pay Taxes?


On this date in 1966, Janis Joplin gave her 1st live concert (Avalon Ballroom in SF). Ironically, this morning on Willow and my walk I listened to Janis’s CD FAREWELL SONG, which is a live concert recording. It’s a small world!

No comments: