Monday, March 16, 2009

On this Date


On this date in 1959 Iraq and the USSR signed a economic/technical treaty. As soon as they signed it each asked the other for a loan – using oil and technical knowledge as collaterals…. Or maybe it could have happened that way it happened anyway.

Also on this date in 1985 AP correspondent Terry Anderson was taken hostage in Beirut. He was finally released. He was related to a lady living about two houses from our subdivision. She called more than one press conference during this ordeal. I think she got more mileage than he did over his captivity.

5 comments:

Si's blog said...

Forgot about both of those things.

Like the picture. You looked better in your blues. What, me worry?

Eddie said...

Si,

You should have seen me prance around in my dress blues.... man!

Si's blog said...

Did you see the photo on my header? That is me and my Annie going ashore in New York. Our second son was the product of that shore leave. See, I did have a good time in New York.

Eddie said...

Si,
That is great picture of you and your sweetie pie.

I think I would rather be conceived in New York City than behind a chicken house in the middle of Georgia.

Si's blog said...

I know some people, like in the Navy, who were so full of chicken manure (see, I avoided using the shit word) that they must have been sired behind a chicken coop. Some of us behind the horse barn or the bull barn, too.