Thursday, March 12, 2009

From Above



Pictures by Ray Ruggles.

I had lunch with Ray Ruggles at Williamson Brothers’ Barbecue yesterday.

Ray lives in a roving Marietta history state of mind. I do too. After we ate he gave me a tour of his old neighborhood in East Marietta where he spent much of his youth. When he lived there in the 50s and 60s it was a new neighborhood. Now, the houses are getting old and are showing it.. with add-ons, paint flaking, and old railings crooked, and so on.

He pointed out almost every house and flushed up some bizarre memory of the families that lived there.

On one street was the above car in a driveway. The car is smashed from a big limb that fell on it. The bumper sticker on the back, that you can half-way see, says something like “BACK OFF, LEARNING TO DRIVE A STICK”

I thought it fitted in with some of bizarre stories Ray had of his neighbors there years ago. The driver of this vehicle evidently was paranoid from being hit from behind – and hark! the car was hit from above.

I hope nobody was hurt.

4 comments:

kenju said...

Ouch! That must have hurt - but at least his insurance would take care of it and he got no points on his license!

Eddie said...

Judy,
I think there is a message in the photograph, like: Never park under the big limbs of an old tree.

Si's blog said...

Like the story of my life and my retirement funds. Try being careful, following the directions exactly, and get socked from just the direction I did not think of.

Your stories make me want to go back to my old home town and see what I can remember.

Eddie said...

Si,
I have a friend I have known since we were age 3. He purposely goes out of his way to avoid certain streets that he holds bad memories of. Anytime I have been with him his route someplace is always a zig-zag trail. He hates memories of times gone by... on the other hand, I wallow in them.