Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Skip Williamson, the late

 




Skip Williamson (1944-2017). Skip was an underground cartoonist. In the mid 1990s I heard he and his family (Harriet and their twin daughters) moved to Marietta. I knew of Skip’s art in various cartoon work in underground comix and HELP magazine. He bought a house from my one-time postal Supervisor Stan. Stan did bodywork part time and rigged up his garage with ideal lighting for painting cars, which also was ideal lighting for drawing underground comix.
For the heck of it, what do I have to lose? I called Skip and welcomed him to Marietta and we invited me over for a beer. That beer grew intro many more with many more visits. We had the same MAD heroes and he did a lot of cartoons for Harvey Kurtzman’s HELP Magazine, an example here.
Looking up a his living dates I read he was called a “rambunctious cartoonist”. He was. He was also a rambunctious friend. His last art work that I know of was painting on nude women at a club of Ponce de Leon in Atlanta.
They moved again and we lost touch. I hated to read that he died.



No comments: