Saturday, November 17, 2012

This Is About the LINCON Movie, Not the Car



LINCOLN.  I thought it was a great movie.  It was done with such dramatics and attention to details that  Steven Speilburg is so good at.  Also, I think just the right music for a scene had a certain Speilburg trademark about it also.

I am not a historian, but what little history I know about Lincoln surfaced in this movie.  It might be historically acurate, or close to it.

It is well known that Lincoln was very witty in a humble sort of way.  And a lot of subjects brought up reminded him of humorous stories which he shared.   Daniel Day-Lewis did a very convincing Abraham Lincoln I thought.

Sally Fields played a great nut like history remembers Mary Todd Lincoln.  Sally is almost type cast in that kind of role, a middle age nut, in the past several years.

The movie is mostly the underhanded and arm twisting politics that was involved in getting the lawmakers on Captial Hill to vote for the 13th Amendment outlawing slavery, laced with the winding down of the Civil War.

Speilberg did not show Lincoln's assignation by John Wilkes Booth, but did show everybody's reaction in the theater when they learned of it.

I thought it was a great movie.  It turned on my sinuses running, mostly in tear form, just like Spielburg's SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

No comments: