Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Visiting the Marietta Museum of History Aviation Wing




A few years ago Marietta Museum of Hisotry took on the enormous task of collecting airplanes. All the planes shown on this post are planes consigned to the Marietta Museum of History. As I understand it, no planes were actually donated. They are all on loan from various military and private institutions. Why don't you pay them a visit? It is next to the Dobbins/Lockheed complex, behind the Federal Credit Union, next door to the Haunted House on the base.
























Wow! Have you ever seen such a cute killing machine? It is a missle that looks like a plastic toy. I would like to have something like that myself. I would be the envy of the neighborhood.








This thing has a huge wingspan. I couldn't even back up enogh to get it all in.




Hmmmm. I thought it was over there where I was a few minutes ago.













There it is again! I think it is a heat seeking missle! I think it wants to follow me home.

4 comments:

G said...

Hey, no fair picturing planes without naming them :)

Who made the 10-seater business jet, 3rd one down? I'm thinking it could be the Lockheed Jetstar.

Eddie said...

G, I think you are probably right about the Lockheed Star. There were no signs up to tell what the names of each plane. I suppose that is coming one day. Right now the museum is hurting for money.

Anonymous said...

I just looked up some photos, and they all have that same blue horizontal stripe. I saw where Elvis bought one in 1975 for about $900,000.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/pictures/jetstar_hound_dog_2.html

The Museum in Marietta has a nice collection. Wonder whose idea that was.

Eddie said...

Anonymous, It was probably Dan Cox's inspiration.