Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Yuppie Preppy Teenage Girl Vagabond



Yesterday we got our flu shots and I got my shingles shot. I never thought much about shingles, even after hearing some gory details of how shingles can affect the human body. Then, a friend had the shingles and I heard a more one on one account. It sounded more personal. The shingles effected some of my friend’s organs such as his kidneys. Then he went on a dialisis machine and finally, his daughter is donating one of her kidneys to him.

I thought it might be in my best interest to get a shingles shot.

The flu vaccine is just about readily available at any pharmacy that sells shots, it seemed. But to find someone that had the shingles vaccine and for your insurance to fit or conform to their list – well, that is another story. We spent a good two or three hours in pursuit of the vaccine. If I understand it, the vaccine has to be stored in a frozen state, and what is thaw out for the day has to be used that sameday.

One drugstore had plenty but our insurance did not jive with what they accepted. Another drugstore chain jived with our insurance but they did not sell the shingles vaccine. Finally we found a grocery store pharmacy that had the vaccine – or they had one dose left. We dropped everything and went there and I got the shot. It is a once in a lifetime shot. Anna got her shot last year.

The druggist was an expert shot giver. Neither one of us felt the needle. Afterwards she told us to stick around the store about ten more minutes, then we could go. I think she wanted to make sure we had no adverse reaction. She said they were now out of the shingles vaccine and will have to wait for another shipment.

I thought of an old postal state of mind quote: “Who cares? I got mine!”

Not long afterwards we were each eating a roast beef sandwich at Arby’s on Sandy Plains Road. In the booth next to us were three well behaved young teenagers. I doubt if they were old enough to drive yet. They were all dressed nicely, stylish, and expensively.

Suddenly one of the teenage girls was standing in front of us. She said she and her friends were practicing basketball at Sprayberry High School. She asked for a quarter very directly, “Would you please give me a quarter?”

“Why do you need a quarter?” we asked.

She looked at us like thinking, “What business is it of yours?” But thinking about it for a moment responded.

“To pay for my food.” She said. We gave her a quarter. She thanked us and walked away.

Later, the girls all together. As they left they all rang the brass bell to let the Arby’s help and the customers know that they were happy with their service. The Arby’s girl behind the counter hollered out a “thank you” and I felt we should have thanked them too.

4 comments:

Postino said...

Shingles is scary stuff. My mother had it. My wife and I got our shingles shots a couple of years ago for free because we were part of a research study on the vaccine.

As for the girl bumming a quarter: a quarter? Is that all? Nowadays with what fast food costs I'd have thought she'd ask for at least $5.00. You got off cheap, my friend.

Maybe it was some sort of initiation she had to pass for the Pep Club.

Anonymous said...

I developed shingles on Jan 27th, 2009. Every day since then, I've had severe pain and itching coming from the nerves in my elbow, wrist and upper back, nerves damaged by the shingles virus. Lyrica capsules and Lidoderm patches help. Doctors says it might end someday and might not.

Northside Pharmacy in Northside Hospital was the cheapest when my wife got her vaccine. $187. Kroger wanted $350. Our insurance didn't cover it.

Mike

kenju said...

We got our flu shots today and we didn't feel it either.

YOu should be glad you got the shingles vaccine. I had shingles once and while I don't have any long lasting effects from it, it was hell while it lasted.

Eddie said...

Judy, That is what I heard from all that have had it.
El, I agree, I think it was some kind of initiation.
Mike, Krogers must have went down. If our insurance would cover it they said it would be a lttle over $200.