Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Wednesday - Its all about me

This is one of those blog entries that as I type this opening I have no idea what will pour out my mind and where it will lead me. Probably no place.

Monday morning I took Anna to the Atlanta Airport and she flew to Dallas for a series of talks in nearby Arlington, Texas.

Tomorrow (Thursday) evening I will pick her up at the airport.

Monday, returning from the airport I was going north of a I-75 & I-85 combo which takes you through downtown Atlanta. A few exits north of the center of town the six lanes divide off 3 on the left for the I-85 which is to South Carolina and the 3 right lanes will lead directly north to Chattanooga, but more importantly to me, Marietta. I thought I was on in one of the 3 right lanes to stay on the I-75, but I was in the foremost right I-85 lane and didn’t realize it until it was too late. I had to go up the I-85 and get off on the first exit, then I zig-zagged in downtown Atlanta neighborhoods until I got to Peachtree Street, and worked myself up to a better point of getting back on the I-75. I know the area I was making my way in pretty good from when I was younger. It was amazing how much things have changed.

Last night I took her mother Marie to the Cobb County Genealogical monthly meeting. We are both charter members. She hasn’t been in years and I only go when I see that a good speaker is lined up.

And last night they had a good speaker. They had Dr. Tom Scott, professor at Kennesaw College, who has written a book about the history of Cobb County from the 1930s to present time. Marie and I both bought the book when it first came out. She hurried up and read through it. I have about 100 pages to go.

I am a slow reader, plus I juggle several books at the same time. I like to have a history or sociology book around reading, a worthwhile book, and a good old fashion high intrigue book, like something by Stephen King.

Dr. Tom Scott talked for at least 60 minutes non-stop. He told of changes that were wise or practical changes, with led to social changes, and other long-range profound changes, with a few ironic antidotes. And he was speaking of people I was related to and knew in my formative years. I really enjoyed his speech. He had no notes to refer to, he talked straight, getting dates and people’s names right – even their middle names, and appeared to be very humble. He was born and grew up in Knoxville, Tennessee, he did not come to Cobb County until 1968. He may have done such a good job with the Cobb County history for the same reason I stated the lady ghost tour guide and owner – on the outside looking in, you can see what the people on the inside can’t, because they can only see what is in their vision, not the overall picture.

He said, it has been proven, without exception, that in any geography region, as race or the caste system ceased to be an issue the economic conditions improved.

When I took Marie home I went down in her basement to try to hook up all the electrical cords leading to the two timers and also replaced two fluorescent light tubes. I think there is about 6 or 8 fluorescent light fixtures, all leading in one form or another to one of the two timers…. I got completely confused. Some of the fixtures cords seem to lead off to no place, or even, returned to itself. I told her I would come back later when I was in the right frame of mind.

I worked about 4 or 5 hours in the yard yesterday, doing a lot of bending over which I am sure is the reason my left leg is hurting now. So, that is why I am not exercising today - or right now, anyway.

Have a nice Wednesday.

No comments: