Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Gotcha!

My son Adam called me and said he and his girlfriend Tiffany ran the same traffic light with the camera that Anna and I ran. Actually, he was under it as it changed but Tiffany was right behind him, so she was caught a couple of split seconds while it was red. Enough , for a ticket I’m sure.

I got the boot for Anna’s ticket because it is in both our names and my name is first, so I get the ticket. As for when I ran it, if you remember my blog entry on that, I plainly ran it, but a orange or yellow truck was directly on my tail, where if I stopped for the light he would have hit me in the rear-end.

So, I looked up Anna’s ticket and the ticket was March the 16th and I sent the fine in on March the 27th. I sent it in a day after we received the ticket so, we received the red-light ticket ten days after the offense.

Probably two months passed since I ran the light with the orange or yellow truck on my tail. So, apparently, he blocked the view of my plate, but not his. Pardon me while I find a piece of wood to knock on – wait, my head will do.

After Adam and Tiffany ran the same light Adam told me he has been doing some timing with his stop watch. There are only two red-lights in Marietta that has cameras ready to catch offenders. He said that one of them, the one we all ran, changes about 1.5 seconds quicker than the other lights that he timed do.

I wonder if our bodies, after years of experience, have a pretty good idea how long a green and warning yellow light are supposed to be? From our body-clocks we feel fairly certain we can make it. Then we don’t.

By the way, those two red-lights has generated over a million bucks in revenue in the form of traffic fines and probably saved many lives – each of the two lights we are talking about has had several deaths – but with people aware of the cameras the death toll has been cut to either nothing or almost nothing.

6 comments:

kenju said...

We have 3-4 of those cameras around here, and they do make people more careful, I think. I know I am more careful around them!

Eddie said...

Judy,
Me too. And I avoid them when ever possible.

Michael Bains said...

I had to pass through a set before I moved back to the west side of town, where I've yet to see any.

Luckily there were never a lot of accidents at mine, cuz the timing was basically the same as any other intersection, so I never got one of those bits o' mail.

Eddie said...

I wish I could say the same. Anna ran the redlight and I got the citation. That is what America is about!

Suzanne said...

Wow, that is amazing how much money two cameras generate. I always think we could close any budget gaps and provide services to all the needy kids in NYC if we had more of those. I feel vaguely justified now. Thanks for the info.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
And I don't see how it would be too expensive once the initial cost of the cameras and placing them - then it is all administrative work.