Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Post Office Blues

A postal story:

A couple of friends I worked with were always saying they were not afraid of management. I didn’t see any reason to doubt them, they did their job and a little more, which we all did.

One day while I had my earphones on working I heard a supervisor screaming in a loud voice. I turned off my music to hear better – after all, nosy is nosy. A supervisor named Vince was shouting at a female carrier calling her a slut and a whore and he was going to be on her, she might as well start packing her bags – she was leaving.

I asked my two co-workers what that was about and filled me in on the details, which I forgot now, it has been at least seven or eight years ago. But I do remember it was all his fault – she stood up to him when she was being falsely accused.

Later the carrier asked us each if we had heard Vince shouting at her and I said I did. The other two, which heard more of it than I did said they didn’t hear a word.
She asked me to put in a letter what I heard, which I did. I did not write down the details the co-workers told me, because I didn’t hear that part. That part was hearsay.

The letter I wrote was the last straw. I didn’t know he had a history of things like that from the other branch he worked at. I think he was forced to retire early (Supervisors rarely get fired).

He went on a drinking spree and had a stroke.

Once before he retired he visited two female carriers at their home. He was heavily under the influence. He told them they were living in sin as lesbians. Then he passed out on their couch.

His wife was/ is a high position in region office, which may not had anything to do with his actions, but again it might – if it allowed him to get away with so much.

I think he thought he was a good person trying to do the right thing. Tch tch.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Speaking of doing the right thing, I am so glad that you did. Those other people are cowards. Harumph.

Eddie said...

You can never tell about people. I thought they would hop to a cause.

Button Gwinnett said...

Pardon me for getting off topic here, but when you mentioned the post office, I was reminded of the seemingly rude guy that ignores you when you pass him near the post office. Remember, you said you wanted to tackle him and tickle him so he'd never be able to just ignore you again?

Have you got him to speak up yet?

:-)

Eddie said...

Button,
No, I haven't got to speak to him yet, as a matter of fact I have only seen him once since I did the blog on him. And he was on his bike miles from here - I noticed him from my car.