Friday, October 13, 2006

Ed & Big Bad John


My father is the guy with the dark suit on the right. He might have been slightly uncomfortable with the big guy with his hand on him. And the guy had to be big. Daddy was considered a fairly tall person - to me anyway - he was something like 6'2". So, the other guy must have loomed at 6'5" or more.

Daddy looks single in the photo. He looks like he has his courting clothes on. So, that would date the picture before 1937 (they married Feb 1937).

Now, for the background: I know of no such giant of a rock nearby in Cobb County, but there may have been. About that time the Georgia Highway Department and the CCC were blowing up big rocks into fragments and using the smithereens for roads. Or they could have made a day trip to Stone Mountain or Lookout Mountain where there are plenty of big rocks.

Or another big rock was on Mama's folk's property in Murray County, Georgia, near Cohutta. That means Janie carried Ed home to meet her family - things were getting serious.

7 comments:

Button Gwinnett said...

"Daddy looks single in the photo. He looks like he has his courting clothes on. So, that would date the picture before 1937 (they married Feb 1937)."

LOL! I have this Mutual of Omaha mating rituals thing in my head after reading that!

That's good stuff, Eddie. Thanks for sharing these pics and stories with us.

Eddie said...

Button,
They do look like "two wild and crazy guys" don't they.
And the big guy reminds me of Jaws, who was in a couple of James Bond movies. By the way, Jaws is/was a Georgia citizen.

Suzanne said...

That shadow in the foreground is ominous.

Eddie said...

Suzanne,
ominous!
Thank you for tossing ominous my way as my learn-a-new-word-a-day thing.

Button Gwinnett said...

I am a James Bond nut. I love for the holidays to roll around for lots of reasons. But I do admit to watching Spike's or TBS's James Bond marathons just about every night!

I had no idea that Jaws was from Georgia. Such an odd and interestingly bad character that turned out to have some good in him after all.....

Eddie said...

Yes, I think he turned good in Moonraker when a female giant batted her eyes at him.
Yes, Jaws is from Georgia - I remember reading several write ups about him, but at my age, interesting today, but forgot about tomorrow.

Button Gwinnett said...

"........but at my age, interesting today, but forgot about tomorrow."

Are you kidding me? I love all of your memories and stories.

You remind me of the south GA author, Bailey White, of NPR fame. She's written collections of her memories of family members, travels, experiences. They're all in neat little vignettes, a lot like your blog.

Keep that little hint in mind.

;-)