Thursday, November 16, 2006

Wait! I got One!


Wait! I got one!

I forgot if I have mentioned it on my blog or not but lately I have noticed that at times my left thumb will move involuntarily or my left foot will do the same, move, like keeping rhythm.

My father had the same happen to him, which my sister said was a bad flu shot reaction. And so did my mother – she had about the same symptoms but she had Parkinson’s disease.

My little body jerks doesn’t seem that serious. It does its jerks quietly and only when unnoticed. It usually happens when I am watching TV or listening to someone talk to me.

As soon as I notice the left parts of my body moving the movements suddenly stops, as if it just caught itself being bad.

Naturally, since it may be Parkinson’s Disease, or whatever Daddy might have had, I would like to get an early medical opinion of what is going on.

Last week I had an appointment with a neurologist. He gave me various little tests with the hammer and knee flex, touch my nose with my eyes closed, and little tests lie that. He said he could see nothing wrong.

But to make sure, he lined me up an appointment to have an M.R.I. later this month.

I was telling a friend about all this via email that of my left thumb and foot movements and the doctor couldn’t find anything wrong.

He said, ‘Well, you can always buy a harmonica and take up the blues.”

2 comments:

Button Gwinnett said...

Your story reminded me of the first time I ever encountered a person with Tourette's Syndrome. It was when I was in high school and worked in a little mom and pop grocery store. This man came in to buy his cigarettes and had an involuntary episode that made me jump clean out of one of my shoes!

The poor guy educated me on his condition and what came along with it. I guess I must have made him feel better because from then on for the next 2 years, he came in the store and bought his cigarettes only from me. Even if I was mopping or putting up grocery stock, when I saw him come in, he would look for me. And I'd go ring his order up as he tried to supress his urges. He even learned my schedule so he'd know when to buy his cigarettes.

Eddie said...

That makes you feel good doesn't it? When someone likes you enough to go out of their way to deal with you.